Brushing and Flossing Techniques
It is very important to invest in a good toothbrush to help maintain effective brushing and prevent gum disease. There are so many toothbrushes on the market, it can be difficult to know what to buy. We advise that any electric rechargeable toothbrush will suffice.
There are 5 simple steps that you can use for effective brushing.
1. Always look in a mirror whilst brushing. It sounds so simple but many people do not use a mirror and hence cannot see where they are brushing and so miss cleaning certain areas.
2. Use a methodical approach, concentrating on one tooth at a time.
3. Make sure that you brush the outside, inside and biting surfaces of the teeth.
4. Try to begin brushing in a different place everyday to ensure that you do not neglect any particular area.
5. Toothbrushing should last for at least two minutes (A good tip is, if you listen to the radio in the morning you should brush for the duration of 1-2 songs).
Some people say that they spend a long time brushing their teeth and therefore they do not need to floss, this is not the case. Although the bristles of a tooth brush are fine, collectively they are still to thick to get in-between the teeth effectively. It is very easy to forget that teeth have more than two surfaces and they all need the same care and attention, especially as food can get trapped in-between teeth and if left it can cause decay/ carries/cavities. The only way to remove this is by flossing.
1. Take about 50cm (20inches) of floss and wind the ends around your middle fingers, leaving a short distance between them.
2. Using your thumb and first finger, gently move the floss between your teeth and wrap in a C shape around the tooth.
3. Guide the floss to where the tooth meets the gum, but take care not to damage the gum by flossing too vigorously
4. Then move the floss up and down the tooth. During use the floss spreads out for more effective plaque removal.
Inter-dental brushes are small pocket sized brushes that are available to buy in different sizes. A dentist would recommend what size is best for the pateint, and some people are advised to use two different sized brushes corresponding to the size of the gaps between teeth. Tepe brushes are great as they come with a lid and can be kept in your pocket incase you are going out for a meal and you have a tendency to get food trapped in certain areas.
For the ultimate feeling of a fresh mouth, don’t forget to use a tongue scraper as your tongue harbours many bacteria that can cause bad breath.
Should you need any further advise on brushing and flossing techniques, speak to one of our team members who will be happy to help you.
Read The Reviews
EXCELLENT 4.9 Average 162 Reviews
“I came to see Rik as I was really unhappy with my smile, I was missing teeth and also had broken teeth which was really affecting my chewing and confidence. I had dental implant treatment and would really recommend
“ The work I’ve had done has literally changed my life. I used to be very nervous but I love coming here. It was very comfortable and easy treatment coming from someone like me who was a phobic. Thank- you Rik and the team at Parrock Dental ”
I came to see Rik to have dental implants, I also needed a bone graft procedure all of which I was very nervous about. Rik was very sincere. I had a bone graft, dental implants and veneers. I am 100% happy with the result and would sincerely recommend Rik to everyone!
“I came here as my son recommended Parrock Dental, and my teeth were badly worn at the front and I needed dental implants at the rear to replace missing teeth. Overall I’ve been very please, it’s given me a lot more confidence with my smile, and chewing is now really good.”