Dental Myths, Facts And Oddities!
There’s a lot of Myths, Facts and Oddities within the Dentist industry. Some are made to be believable and may make people anxious about coming to the Dentist so here are all the Myths, Facts and Tales that you need to know.
1) Electric Toothbrushes aren’t necessarily the better way of Cleaning your Teeth FACT, there potentially easier and quicker to use but there is no proof that they actually clean your Teeth better.
2) Once a tooth is treated the Decay will stop FACT Once you get a cavity filled and if you maintain good Brushing, Flossing, and rinsing habits you typically won’t get Decay in the same spot again.
3) Brushing your Teeth in Baking Soda is a form of Teeth whitening FACT it realises that radicals that join with Stain Molecules to break them down. Is freshens Breath and removes Plaque.
4) Brushing, Flossing and Rinsing is the best way to Prevent Cavities FACT You need to Brush twice a day and Floss and rinse daily. If bacteria is removed daily from every area of your Tooth, you won’t get cavities.
5) Teeth are made out of Calcium, Mineral Salts and Phosphorus. FACT
6) The soreness you feel when you burn your mouth on mozzarella cheese has a name – pizza palette. FACT
7) Academy of General Dentistry, the average person only brushes for 45 to 70 seconds a day FACT the recommended amount of time is 2-3 minutes.
8) An average person has 32 Teeth FACT That number includes 4 Wisdom Teeth. We have 8 Incisors, 4 Canines, 12 Molars and 8 Pre-molars.
1) There’s No Point In Brushing Baby Teeth MYTH Just because all baby’s Teeth are going to fall out and Adult teeth will replace these doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t brush babies Teeth properly. Why? Well, for one, you teach your Children good Dental Habits when they’re at their most impressionable. Two, Brushing keeps Gums Healthy as well.
2) Everyone Needs Dentures When They Get Older MYTH Here are the facts. 25% of people 74 years of age and older have lost their permanent Teeth. While that’s a pretty big chunk of the population, it’s certainly not everyone so don’t assume you are the same.
3) If You Have Bad Breath, It’s Because You Don’t Brush Properly MYTH There is an element of truth to this one. Bad breath, or halitosis as it’s known, is almost always a factor of poor oral hygiene. But Oral Hygiene isn’t about Brushing alone. It includes Dental Visits, Diet, Flossing, Fluoride Mouthwash, and more. If you’ve got Bad Breath, look at all of these things. Your Brushing technique is probably not the problem.
4) Larger Toothbrush heads equal better cleaning. MYTH Large-headed brushes may not be able to reach certain Oral areas. So use a smaller brush instead to get to hard to reach places.
5) There’s no ideal direction when brushing your Teeth. The perfect way to brush your teeth is in circular motion. Brushing them side by side, up and downwards can actually do more harm than good by weakening and damaging gum tissue.
Read The Reviews
EXCELLENT 4.9 Average 227 Reviews
“I came to see Rik as I was really unhappy with my smile, I was missing teeth and also had broken teeth which was really affecting my chewing and confidence. I had dental implant treatment and would really recommend
“ The work I’ve had done has literally changed my life. I used to be very nervous but I love coming here. It was very comfortable and easy treatment coming from someone like me who was a phobic. Thank- you Rik and the team at Parrock Dental ”
I came to see Rik to have dental implants, I also needed a bone graft procedure all of which I was very nervous about. Rik was very sincere. I had a bone graft, dental implants and veneers. I am 100% happy with the result and would sincerely recommend Rik to everyone!
“I came here as my son recommended Parrock Dental, and my teeth were badly worn at the front and I needed dental implants at the rear to replace missing teeth. Overall I’ve been very please, it’s given me a lot more confidence with my smile, and chewing is now really good.”